Dare Yourself (LP) – Released April 2014
- Grand Prize Winner – 2014 John Lennon Song Writing Contest (R&B Category, Session I) for “Thousand Times”
- “Thousand Times”, “My Boy” and “What is it You’re Saying” selected to air in episodes of 2015 Canadian comedy, “Schitt’s Creek”
- Opening act for Ivana Santilli in August 2015
Back in 2008, Toronto singer-songwriters, Edward Monzon and Rachenne Regozo (now husband and wife), started what was originally an acoustic-soul duo known as The Muso Project. The couple spent nearly two years writing and performing their originals and covers around the city, being in and out of the studio (Phase One Studios, Keen Music Studio, and Exeter Sound Studios) until the release of their self-titled EP in 2010. Since then, Rachenne and Edward have been joined by an incredible collective of R&B, soul, funk and jazz musicians who have collaborated to develop the unique and refreshingly live sound the band has today. The current band members now include Charles Collymore (bass), Ben Healey (drums), Kevin Cato (saxophone), Aubrey McGhee (saxophone), and Rachenne’s brother, Kierscey Rand (keyboards and backup vocals).
Having mastered their craft for several years, The Muso Project has become most recognized for their vocal harmonies, funky solos and entertaining covers/mash-ups, witnessed in and around Toronto at venues like the Hardrock Cafe, the Rivoli, Lee’s Palace, The Supermarket, El Mocambo, Sneaky Dee’s, and Drake Hotel… and notably at large events like Canadian Music Week, TD Jazz Fest, Markham Relay for Life, Big on Bloor and Toronto Wine and Spirit Fest. They were invited to open up for Canadian R&B talent, Ivana Santilli in August 2015 and were also featured as an up and coming Toronto artist on RogersTV “Toronto Sessions” in 2013 and “ON THE MIC with Rudy Blair” in 2015.
Beyond their live performances, the band prides itself in the production of their latest albums: their 2012 EP, ‘Let’s Go Back‘, which includes five of their crowd-favourites; and their highly anticipated, first full-length album ‘Dare Yourself‘, which was overwhelmingly crowd-funded by fans for the full production budget. Both albums were produced by the musically diverse and very talented, Mike Rocha of RiverWorks Music Studios as well as band member, Kierscey, who acted as co-producer. The Muso Project released ‘Dare Yourself’ in April 2014, from which “Thousand Times” was selected as the 2014 John Lennon Songwriting Contest Grand Prize Winner for Session 1 in the R&B category, which also put them in the running for the 2014 Lennon Award in the R&B and John Lennon Song of the Year. Three songs off the album were also picked up at the end of 2014 to air in episodes of 2015 Canadian comedy “Schitt’s Creek” starring SCTV/SNL greats – Eugene Levy and Catherine O’Hara.
Muso: someone who is obsessed with listening to & creating music.
The Muso Project: the collaboration of artists, combining their passions for Blues, Soul, Jazz, R&B and Funk music into an eclectic blend of acoustic/electric guitars, colourful vocals, rhythmic grooves & expressive lyrics
- “[This song] grabs you right away with a classic Motown rhythm and then layers some great R&B-flavoured vocals and keys on top.” – Mike Tanner (Toronto’s first music sector development officer) interview with Toronto Star
- “LIVE from City Hall” Music Series Launch hosted by John Tory, featuring The Young Novelists and The Muso Project
- “One listen to their track “Miss Melody” or the funky, bass-driven “Dare Yourself” and you’ll quickly realize that the attention and acclaim are indeed warranted.” – Canadian Musician Magazine
- “…this album is a complete work of art. Each song gives off a bit different vibe and it perfectly pulls together a mix of genres, which not all bands can pull off.” – Jenna Melanson, Canadian Beats (“Dare Yourself” Pre-Release Review)
- “With the full band, they’ve got all the makings for slick Stevie Wonder-esque grooves that’ll get your body movin’.” – Julia Stead, She Does the City (INDIE RADAR)
- “They have got a unique sound that will get your toes tapping and your head bobbin’” – Conway Gaskin, iScream Music (Interview)